The Bad News

Started by BlameThe1st, February 25, 2015, 12:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'd like to start two new forum threads where we share news stories that are bad and good respectively. As you can tell, this is the thread where all the bad news gets posted, the type of news that makes you facepalm at best, or at worst, want to jump off a building and end it all. (I'm doing this since the "Fail Quotes" thread has occasionally been used to link to bad news stories rather than for simply sharing stupid quotes.)

Allow me to start with some "bad" news that I doubt will be topped:

The disappeared: Chicago police detain Americans at abuse-laden 'black site'

QuoteThe Chicago police department operates an off-the-books interrogation compound, rendering Americans unable to be found by family or attorneys while locked inside what lawyers say is the domestic equivalent of a CIA black site.

The facility, a nondescript warehouse on Chicago's west side known as Homan Square, has long been the scene of secretive work by special police units. Interviews with local attorneys and one protester who spent the better part of a day shackled in Homan Square describe operations that deny access to basic constitutional rights.

Alleged police practices at Homan Square, according to those familiar with the facility who spoke out to the Guardian after its investigation into Chicago police abuse, include:

Keeping arrestees out of official booking databases.
Beating by police, resulting in head wounds.
Shackling for prolonged periods.
Denying attorneys access to the "secure" facility.
Holding people without legal counsel for between 12 and 24 hours, including people as young as 15.

By the royal holy delectable plot of Princess Celestia, that is some scary SQUEE!

That is the type of shady stuff we're supposed to expect from totalitarian dictatorships like North Korea, not the "Land of the Free, and Home of the Brave"tm!

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

What about news that's ugly?

Quote from: tnu on February 25, 2015, 08:09:25 PM
What about news that's ugly?

That's what the podcast is for!

Looks like we're going back to Title II regulation

http://reason.com/blog/2015/02/26/the-fcc-just-voted-to-regulate-the-inter
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.