Texas Bashing

Started by FeatheredTerror, April 16, 2014, 10:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Maybe I'm alone here, but I'm getting tired of people constantly bashing Texas. As a Texas resident, I'll freely admit that it has its fair share of problems, not the least of which being that that idiot Rick Perry keeps getting reelected. However, whenever I hear people badmouthing Texas and saying it should just secede so America can be rid of it, I can't help but feel like I'm being lumped into this broad stereotype, not to mention my friends and family who also live here. Again, I don't know if anyone else shares my sentiment, but I just felt the need to get it off my chest.

That's kind of how I feel about Europeans when it comes to America bashing.

Yeah, America sucks, but so does Europe, if not more so.

As a texas resident i feel exactly the same :T
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Texas is an anagram of taxes. Just saying.

Quote from: D on April 16, 2014, 11:05:12 AM

When people come to the Ozarks, near West Plains, MO, they say that thought we all spoke with southern drawls.
Which, confuses the fuck out of me.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: D on April 16, 2014, 11:05:12 AM

And most of the time that seems to come from the Western Europeans?

One joke my mom told about our state was this

"Damn, you get sent to death row in texas for even sneezing the wrong way."
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Quote from: Skm1091 on April 16, 2014, 07:33:12 PM
And most of the time that seems to come from the Western Europeans?

Yeah usually.

Quote from: D on April 17, 2014, 07:15:10 AM
Yeah usually.

Hasn't Western Europe always looked at the US that way?
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on April 17, 2014, 04:29:13 PM

Pretty much.

Quote80 cents, Kuwait: an excellent oregano, cheese, or "pizza" style bakes, juice, and a side order (chips or chocolate). you can sub the juice for Pop. either way, it lasted the whole day, and it tasted good enough.

many times that amount in America when I was a twelfth grader: tasted like offal, lost 30 pounds.... (ok, the stress of that year certainly didn't help).

my stay in Texas in a nutshell, and with it, my opinion of the State.

the people? I try to take them one at a time. Even the ones from Lake Jackson.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on April 17, 2014, 04:29:13 PM

And the the nation in western europe that seems (at least from my observation) to do it the most is the United Kingdom

Quote from: Skm1091 on April 18, 2014, 02:10:34 AM

And the the nation in western europe that seems (at least from my observation) to do it the most is the United Kingdom

probably butt-hurt to this day about the Revolution.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on April 18, 2014, 03:17:17 AM
probably butt-hurt to this day about the Revolution.

And not just the United Kingdom, also the Commonwealth countries (no offence to Hawkeye).

Virtually all of the American bashers don't know donkey turd about the US, besides confirmation bias anecdotes and cherry picked statistics here and there.  Same thing with most European lovers i've noticed. The US bashers don't know much about the US and the EU lovers don't know much about the EU.

SOmetimes the anecdotes are really hilarious. There was this guy who told me that Americans had crappy food because the FDA was "lazy" and they didn't regulate enough!

Or this one guy who bought an "American" chocolate from his local store and it tasted like shit, henceforth, all American chocolates/food sucks.