Great Libertarian Novels That Aren't Atlas Shrugged

Started by MrBogosity, October 07, 2013, 07:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Dallas Wildman on December 02, 2013, 09:50:05 PM
On a side topic Great Libertarian Mangas/Animes:

Library Wars
Attack On Titan

Okay maybe with libertarian/libertine themes in them but if anyone more ideas.

While we're on that subject how about Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, and Akumetsu?

Or One Piece?
Or Anarky (comic book character)?
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: T dog on December 29, 2013, 02:04:27 AM
Or One Piece?
Or Anarky (comic book character)?
Quote from: tnu on December 29, 2013, 01:44:16 AM
While we're on that subject how about Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, and Akumetsu?

I'm curious now what would be the libertarian/liberteen themes in these series?
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

Quote from: Dallas Wildman on December 29, 2013, 05:20:33 AM
I'm curious now what would be the libertarian/liberteen themes in these series?

One Piece:  http://libertarianlonghorns.com/2010/10/07/a-brilliant-libertarian-series/  D's been watching the series and told me he noticed it was rather...an-cap/libertarian.  D did disagree about their points on inflation though.  They have shown paper money.  Which, given the amount of war and stuff is most likely being devalued.

As for Anarky, I'll let him speak for himself:  http://travis-retriever.deviantart.com/journal/A-few-words-from-Anarky-275841851
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: T dog on December 29, 2013, 09:00:39 AM
One Piece:  http://libertarianlonghorns.com/2010/10/07/a-brilliant-libertarian-series/  D's been watching the series and told me he noticed it was rather...an-cap/libertarian.  D did disagree about their points on inflation though.  They have shown paper money.  Which, given the amount of war and stuff is most likely being devalued.

As for Anarky, I'll let him speak for himself:  http://travis-retriever.deviantart.com/journal/A-few-words-from-Anarky-275841851

Yeah, there was a scene where the Straw Hats exchanged their actual gold that they obtained for paper money. I suppose in an anime about pirates, the consequences of paper money probably doesn't interest that many viewers.

Trigun is mainly due to much of its premise following two insurance agents who serve as a sort of defense force on a frontier world and then there's the other main protagonist, a legendary outlaw who is actually a pacifist tothe extreme.

Haven't read it yet, but it comes highly recommended by Reason's Nick Gillespie: The Blithedale Romance by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

A very funny novel by my friend James Peron, "City Lights." Funny, very libertarian themes that are pro-gay,plus an excellent sequence where they pull a sting on a TV preacher.
"We plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now." - Kevin Bacon, Tremors

May I also add Anthem?  Although that is more of a short story...
"We plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now." - Kevin Bacon, Tremors

Quote from: SideProjectJim on October 26, 2014, 05:29:47 PM
May I also add Anthem?  Although that is more of a short story...

TBH, I was trying to avoid Ayn Rand altogether...

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 26, 2014, 05:58:34 PM
TBH, I was trying to avoid Ayn Rand altogether...
Speaking of Ayn Rand...whenever I listen to her writing from her novels, I get this weird impression that I'm listening to her equivalent of a fangirl's fanfiction/wank material.  You also get the feeling reading her stuff?

Quote from: Travis Retriever on October 26, 2014, 06:27:45 PM
Speaking of Ayn Rand...whenever I listen to her writing from her novels, I get this weird impression that I'm listening to her equivalent of a fangirl's fanfiction/wank material.  You also get the feeling reading her stuff?

I've read TONS of fanfic that's better than Rand...

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 26, 2014, 07:22:26 PM
I've read TONS of fanfic that's better than Rand...
Her work is THAT bad? O.o Holy shit.

Quote from: tnu on October 16, 2013, 10:28:17 PM
does Gravity's Rainbow count? It includes a philosophy called Sado--Anarchism proposing the BDSM lifesytle as a means to curb humans desires for dominance and submission.

will only read if the sadistic scenes are better than 50 shades of gray (I know, low standard, still).
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on October 28, 2014, 12:38:24 PM
will only read if the sadistic scenes are better than 50 shades of gray (I know, low standard, still).

I don't know about better, but they're DEFINITELY weirder! (And I say that having not read 50 Shades; topping the weirdness of Gravity's Rainbow is a daunting task to say the least.)