Can you still be an atheist after watching this? (The answer is yes..)

Started by FelleAndersson, October 31, 2008, 07:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So the bible proves the bible......it's flawless circular reasoning. This guy is a used car salesman of the worst kind.

I find it fascinating how someone who already buys this stuff cannot see the glaring holes in this kind of argumentation.

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 31, 2008, 08:25:33 PM
I find it fascinating how someone who already buys this stuff cannot see the glaring holes in this kind of argumentation.

Me as well. But that's what blind faith does to ya..

You know, this reminds me of another kind of apologetic which pisses me off:
"Lots and lots of people witnessed the resurrection of Jesus, so it really, really happened!"

When has it become enough to just claim that there are witnesses for something?
Witnesses mean jack-shit if you can't interview them, and even then they could lie or they could have been fooled!
Just because somebody is gullible enough to believe that what he saw a stage magician doing is real does not make it so!

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 31, 2008, 09:25:29 PM
"Lots and lots of people witnessed the resurrection of Jesus, so it really, really happened!"

When has it become enough to just claim that there are witnesses for something?
Witnesses mean jack-shit if you can't interview them, and even then they could lie or they could have been fooled!
Just because somebody is gullible enough to believe that what he saw a stage magician doing is real does not make it so!

+1

Thank you. :D

Edit: I just noticed that this argument is actually in the video. What about that? So I did not bring this thread off-topic after all.

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 31, 2008, 09:25:29 PM

Yeah, and 30,000-100,000 people saw the sun fall out of the sky in Portugal. That's what I usually say to people when they say that.

Of course, then I have to explain what happened...

"All this historical data" he keeps claiming. What historical data? The bible? Please! Outside of the NT, an internally conflicting document the earliest parts written decades after the supposed life of Jesus, what evidence is there for a man named Jesus who performed the alleged miracles he was supposed to have performed? You'd think a dude running around doing the amazing stuff Jesus was supposed to have done would have made it into some secular history books of the time. Nadda! Zip! None! Not until many decades later when Christian Church arose and started inventing history for Jesus. When asked for evidence outside of the bible christians will usual give one of three answers.

1. They'll cite secular historical evidence describing early christians who died for their beliefs. Nothing about Jesus, just historical documents about a newly rising cult named christianity. They'll say things like, "Well if Jesus wasn't real, then these early christians died for a myth. Surely they wouldn't died for something they didn't believe was literally true?". They say this as if somehow it makes a case for a real Jesus Christ.

2. They'll cite historical evidence for people who lived when Jesus was supposed to have live, or places mentioned in the bible that Jesus was supposed to have visited. They figure that because certain Roman Emperors, who actually lived and were written of in real historical texts, were also written about in the bible, then it follows that Jesus must have been real also. Or worse, that real cities are mentioned in the bible, somehow it follows that the bible account of Jesus must be true. That's like saying, because New York is mentioned in a Spider-Man comic, then Spider-Man must be real. Or because Forest Gump met President Kennedy in a movie, Forest Gump must be real.

3. Outright forgeries. Classic example of which is Josephus.

The fact of the matter is, Jesus is a mythical figure. Maybe there was a guy named Jesus around that time, maybe there wasn't. There's usually a basis of fact for figures like Jesus, but the truth is there is absolutely no hard evidence that a miracle performing, water-walking, son of a god ever existed. Christians are historical revisionists; plain and simple.

Quote from: BZ987654 on October 31, 2008, 08:10:34 PM
So the bible proves the bible......it's flawless circular reasoning. This guy is a used car salesman of the worst kind.

Actually, he's a lawyer. Figures huh. lol

Another one of those:
[yt]rh3f5KfXXOo[/yt]

Also, what is this strange linguistic phenomenon I have been observing recently?
Why do so many people not add an "s" for the plural of nouns ending in "-ist"?

That I was still an atheist after watching it, and it was nothing but long-refuted strawman arguments.