Author Topic: Does this mean anything beyond Stranger Things losing a few viewers?  (Read 96 times)

evensgrey

• Cluon generator
  • Bogometer: -37
    • View Profile

Well, Stefan has gone and done one of his weird analyses of entertainment and decided Stranger Things is an allegory about uncontrolled immigration in the presence of a welfare state.

Does this actually mean anything beyond making a few hard-code statists no longer able to watch it because they won't be able to shake the idea that it contradicts their core theology?

MrBogosity

• Master of the Bogoverse
  • Administrator
  • Bogometer: -40
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Does this mean anything beyond Stranger Things losing a few viewers?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 01:29:53 PM »
LOLWUT??? Who are the immigrants supposed to be? There aren't any people in the Upside-Down!

evensgrey

• Cluon generator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:06:08 PM »
LOLWUT??? Who are the immigrants supposed to be? There aren't any people in the Upside-Down!

Apparently, there are entities in the Upside-Down who are taking resources when the gate is open.  Remember, this is one of Stefan's analyses, so he's probably completely rewritten the story to conform to his own narrative.  Do you know what he decided Harry Potter was about?

MrBogosity

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »
Apparently, there are entities in the Upside-Down who are taking resources when the gate is open.

Not intelligent ones, at least so far. They're just beasts. One of the characters described it like a virus, hijacking Will's intelligence because it had none of its own.

Remember, this is one of Stefan's analyses, so he's probably completely rewritten the story to conform to his own narrative.  Do you know what he decided Harry Potter was about?

I shudder to think...what?

(I've heard the idea that Harry is actually in a sanitorium suffering from PTSD, and how the story and his place in it matches the kind of delusions you'd expect. It was scarily convincing...)

evensgrey

• Cluon generator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
I shudder to think...what?

(I've heard the idea that Harry is actually in a sanitorium suffering from PTSD, and how the story and his place in it matches the kind of delusions you'd expect. It was scarily convincing...)

Sort of similar, actually, except it was early-onset schizophrenia, with him initially struggling against it and eventually giving in and embracing his delusions and hallucinations.  Stefan seems to be convinced that magic is always an allegory for insanity.  Given the kind of life he had before he turned eleven, Harry should have PTSD at the least, or probably more likely, DID.

MrBogosity

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:08:30 PM »
Sort of similar, actually, except it was early-onset schizophrenia, with him initially struggling against it and eventually giving in and embracing his delusions and hallucinations.  Stefan seems to be convinced that magic is always an allegory for insanity.  Given the kind of life he had before he turned eleven, Harry should have PTSD at the least, or probably more likely, DID.

But I don't think it's unrelated. Even if it's not what J.K. Rowling intended, it would make sense that she would set the character up like that to be able to go on those kind of adventures. He'd have the fulfillment in reality that the delusions would give a mental patient.

evensgrey

• Cluon generator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 11:12:26 PM »
But I don't think it's unrelated. Even if it's not what J.K. Rowling intended, it would make sense that she would set the character up like that to be able to go on those kind of adventures. He'd have the fulfillment in reality that the delusions would give a mental patient.

I always got the impression she gave Harry that kind of early childhood because it's the most stereotypical hero early childhood, in a story she was consciously packing with as many stereotypes as possible, both about fantasy and boarding schools.