a guy who favors prohibition

Started by 11mc22, February 23, 2009, 11:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
i haven't seen many people who favor prohibition on youtube but heres some comments from one of them.

Quotealcohol and tobacco are not legal to produce or sell without the proper licensing, you cannot drink in public places nor can you grow tobacco. so they both are not fully legal. what i want to see is that people with personal use amounts of hemp, should not be prosecuted as criminals, rather people who choose to traffic large amounts of the drug be penalised. i believe legalisation is a joke and would turn some many people into mindless zombies. to many people have seen the adverse affects of short and long term usage of the drug, and it does not look good. Holland is experiencing the worst epidemic mental health patients and new users of drugs such as heroin and amphetamine than ever before, the government links this outbreak soley to the decriminalisation of hemp. so do you think the outlaw status of the drug is a good thing or a bad thing?.

basically he says there is an epidemic mental health crisis in the Netherlands because of drugs.
but in the Netherlands the drug use is half the percent than the US or Netherlands' neighboring countries and this includes heroin.

Quoteare you a member of parliament... i guess not, are you an advocate for higher standards of living... i guess not, also are you an advocate for lowering crime rates.....i guess not, all that tobacco, alcohol and other socially acceptable substances prove to people involved in society and governing society, all are fully aware of the affecting problems which grip youth and the free willing adult. so the question i ask you Mr Google it, is simply this, why make the problem worse?.

He is annoying so i started annoying him back. prohibition causes crime but he doesn't seem to listen.

anyhow his/her name is s13silly i made some comments on his/her channel. if you guys have any suggestions to get rid of him i would appreciate it. i left some comments on s13silly's channel feel free to correct me as well

It is probably just nitpicking, but your comparison of crime rates in the United States (80.0645 per 1,000) versus The Netherlands (79.5779 per 1,000) is so close, it makes it a rather moot point in your argument. Other than that, you made some pretty good arguements.

I don't like comparing things like crime rates across cultures, anyway. Too many variables.

Harry Browne made a chart of the murder rate in the US, showing that it went up during Prohibition, down afterwards, and came back up again during the War on Drugs.

Something else to notice: when they talk about how murder is at it's lowest rate since some-odd-year, that some-odd-year is always a year after the War on Drugs started.

Quote from: 11mc22 on February 23, 2009, 11:08:45 PM
i haven't seen many people who favor prohibition on youtube but heres some comments from one of them.

basically he says there is an epidemic mental health crisis in the Netherlands because of drugs.
but in the Netherlands the drug use is half the percent than the US or Netherlands' neighboring countries and this includes heroin.

He is annoying so i started annoying him back. prohibition causes crime but he doesn't seem to listen.

anyhow his/her name is s13silly i made some comments on his/her channel. if you guys have any suggestions to get rid of him i would appreciate it. i left some comments on s13silly's channel feel free to correct me as well

It is perfectly legal to grow your own tobacco. Maybe it's not legal to grow and sell tobacco without a permit or whatever, but for personal use it is legal and lots of people do it.

This whole idea of legality is downright stupid and the fact that people think that growing your own tobacco is illegal shows the mentality it creates. People get this idea that things that are unsafe are illegal and things that are legal are safe (maybe with the exception of cigarettes). This mentality gets people in trouble. We should be allowed to act like grown-ups and make our own decisions.
Peter Schiff points out another area where the gov distorts the way people act for their safety, in this case monetary safety.
He observes that people do more research before buying a dvd player than they do when choosing a bank account. Because of the FDIC rules people don't bother holding their bank to any type of standard because they know the gov will bail them out.  Imagine if banks had to answer to their depositors as to how they invest and lend (after all, it is the depositors money). Do you think they would make as many risky loans? And anyway, the fdic is too much and is really just there to protect corporations. If the FDIC has to exist, it should be capped at 20k or even less. Who in the world has more than 20k in a bank account? The only people that would do that would be a corporation. Maybe a payroll account or an account used to pay for supplies and raw materials and such. But an individual with more than 20k would most likely have the money invested properly, not sitting in a bank account getting 1% interest.
So this is just one more way that gov protection is a cause of problems and not a solution.

Chris