Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
DaVinci Resolve's color-grading features are every bit as good as any of the movie-quality applications. It has shortcomings in other areas, but its color correction is really second to none.
Future Episodes / Re: Gun Control
« Last post by Smithson1 on Today at 12:48:30 AM »
I'm downloading blue ray version
Give it time; I just started today. I'm downloading blue ray version
General Discussion / Re: What kind of dumbass placement is this, YouTube?
« Last post by evensgrey on August 15, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »
No--and that wasn't what I was getting at. I was saying that I got called a racist for talking about India in the Civ games.

This ties in to the point that we live in a stupid age (which makes me wonder if human society hasn't always been stupid).

EDIT: also:

Chicken-feed!

This is the most epic rollover:

The people complaining aren't even playing the games, so why worry about them?  (How do I know that people who complain about these sorts of things don't play games?  Simple.  Games that kow tow to these people invariably fail because nobody buys them.)

The famous screen corruption bug in the original Pac Man is actually in a different, and generally much more serious, bug.  It's a relative of a buffer overrun, in this case an unsigned 8-bit int overflowing into the next byte of memory when the level number when past 255, corrupting the screen display.
General Discussion / Hollywod studios are another step closer to the end
« Last post by evensgrey on August 15, 2018, 02:23:39 PM »
Now there's these bits of kit:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/control

With free software (or $299 software allowing easy collaboration) and a starting pricepoint of about a thousand dollars for the simplest control panel, which looks like it should be quite adequate for HDTV-level projects.  Maybe not up to easy handling of full movie-quality work, but if you're getting the proper hardware kit for editing such movies, a $30k control panel is not likely to be seen as being outside the reasonable.
« Last post by Ibrahim90 on August 14, 2018, 02:30:14 PM »
Could it be that YouTube is experiencing it's own "integer rollover"?

No--and that wasn't what I was getting at. I was saying that I got called a racist for talking about India in the Civ games.

This ties in to the point that we live in a stupid age (which makes me wonder if human society hasn't always been stupid).

EDIT: also:

Still the most epic integer rollover:

Chicken-feed!

This is the most epic rollover:

« Last post by MrBogosity on August 13, 2018, 09:24:54 PM »
Still the most epic integer rollover:

« Last post by evensgrey on August 12, 2018, 10:20:27 PM »
And the idiocy continues...

I was watching this Timeline documentary (great stuff if you want to learn about British history):

Which is a solid 53+ minutes runtime, when THIS came up as an advert:

Which is not only less than 5 minutes shorter than the video it's an ad in, it absolutely reeks of scam.
The Podcast / Re: Podcast for 12 August 2018
« Last post by evensgrey on August 12, 2018, 08:24:10 PM »
There is effectively no security in the SMS transmission system.  It is quite possible to both insert messages and access messages in the system.  Worse, you don't even need to access the server network, as SMS is routed to any device showing the correct SIM code, without any mechanism to verify wether or not the message actually reaches any such device.

Another good choice for an access token system is the tried and true RSA tokens.  These appear to be the same devices that Blizzard Entertainment uses for their 2FA.  (At least, they appear to be identical and function indistinguishably.)

All the usual pundits insisted that the corporate tax cuts wouldn't result in money coming back to the US or any such things as large corporations raising wages or handing their employees bonuses.  Rightup  until they started to do both of those things.  This is rather like how the actual taxes paid by corporate executives radically rose when Regan cut personal tax rates and suddenly it became much more attractive for those executives to take lots of cash instead of company provided cars, housing, and use of the corporate jet (which were tax-free benefits) and instead use the larger cash payments to buy the housing, cars, and travel they preferred instead of the somewhat less personalized options companies formerly provided.  (Oh, yes, this is why senior executives still lived incredibly swanky lives in the insane personal tax regime of the 1950's, it was all paid by the company as 'benefits' of executive positions.  Just giving them money is a whole lit simpler than having to maintain the assets required to provide those benefits.  And most of them didn't really get what they wanted since you couldn't get a Park Avenue penthouse if the company you worked for didn't happen to own any or it was reserved for someone in a different position.)
« Last post by evensgrey on August 12, 2018, 08:01:21 PM »
Could it be that YouTube is experiencing it's own "integer rollover"?

Probably not.

They ran into that problem in 2014 with the view count on Gangnam Style going past 2^31, and now use 64-bit integers for at least some counts.

(Now, why they used a SIGNED integer for a quantity which is, by definition, never negative is a completely different puzzle.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10