Expelled, with lie-correcting subtitles!

Started by MrBogosity, October 27, 2008, 02:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
You would have to write a book to answer to all the lies in Expelled.

Bumping, because I have updated the subtitles to Version 1.2. Typos are fixed, and there's some additional information, including more of Darwin's opinions about the sick and the poor.

Thanks for all the work you do on Bogosity! I love the series, And with this set of subtitles, I may actually be able to stomach watching this movie...

Maybe you should watch it with a group, and take a drink whenever they pull a Lord Privy Seal!

Oh, no, wait, better not. I don't want any cases of alcohol poisoning on my conscience...

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 18, 2008, 06:03:58 PM
Maybe you should watch it with a group, and take a drink whenever they pull a Lord Privy Seal!

lol, I would be dead half way through the "movie" (Propaganda)... Although I supposed it would be less painful than finishing it...

If only whoever made this could also make one for The Case For Christ and/or The Case For Faith we'd be set.

That would be me, and I haven't seen either of those.

May 13, 2009, 05:31:51 PM #40 Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:01:50 AM by semper03
My mother tongue isn't English, so bear with me.
First of all, I would like to thank the people involved in making the critically commenting subtitles. Great job!
Next, in order to make Expelled play with these subtitles, I suppose you need Expelled as an avi-file AND re-name the subtitles file exactly in accordance with the movie's name (exepting the extension, in my case respectively .avi and .srt. - E.g. 'Expelled_critically commenting subtitles.avi' and 'Expelled_critically commenting subtitles.srt'). It works fine for me, using Media Player Classic.
Finally, since 2004, I have worked as a Philosophy and Theory of Knowledge (TOK) teacher in the International Baccalaureate (IB) system, and besides, I've taught Literature, Antiquity and Philosophy in my national educational system, in fact since 1976.
When some months ago I first watched Expelled, I thought "This seems interesting...". Now, having watched the movie a couple of times, and having visited a good deal of critical internet sites, I'm disappointed, embarrased and horrified on behalf of the Intelligent Design movement, and on behalf of honest Christians respecting Science as an independent realm besides the independent realm of Faith.
As far as I have been able to scrutinize things, Expelled is one of the most manipulating 'documentaries' I've ever watched.
For my teaching purposes, I've set up a web page on Intelligent Design vs. Evolution in general. However, it's a work in progress, and I have not had the time to update it with references to the subtitles materials at stake. Nevertheless it may be of some interest to members of this forum: http://kj.kolding-gym.dk/TOK%20archive/intelligent_design_andor_evolut.htm

Quote from: semper03 on May 13, 2009, 05:31:51 PM
My mother tongue isn't English, so bear with me.

you probably speak better English than I do.

Cool you're danish. You must be happy lol. Nice site by the way.

P.S. For all those who don't know, Denmark is apparently the happiest nation in Europe. Dunno how you determine that though lol

Quote from: Sinlingual on May 14, 2009, 05:29:52 PM
Cool you're danish. You must be happy lol. Nice site by the way.

P.S. For all those who don't know, Denmark is apparently the happiest nation in Europe. Dunno how you determine that though lol

Admittedly it's a privilege to live in Denmark in a lot of respects, albeit it's not exactly Paradise!
It's difficult for me to imagine a Danish initiative like Steins "Expelled". I guess it would be nipped in the bud, simply because we in our public life have a very long anti-authoritarian tradition, ridiculing stuffed shirts like Ben Stein.
I've added a few things to my High School educational page on Evolution and Intelligent Design, http://kj.kolding-gym.dk/TOK%20archive/intelligent_design_andor_evolut.htm, - i.e. a trailer to the excellent documentary "Judgement Day - Intelligent Design on trial", and a pfd-file synoptically combining the transcript from "Expelled" with Shane Killian's critical commentary.
Personally I'd prefered to omit Killian's purely subjective, taunting remarks. In my opinion they just weaken his (our) case. Having said that, I would like to thank Killian (and his sources) for a fine job!

Quote from: semper03 on May 21, 2009, 08:02:03 PMI guess it would be nipped in the bud, simply because we in our public life have a very long anti-authoritarian tradition, ridiculing stuffed shirts like Ben Stein.

The thing is, the movie tries to make it out like THEY'RE the ones being trodden on by those authoritarian stuffed-shirt evolutionists. And their followers just eat it up.

QuotePersonally I'd prefered to omit Killian's purely subjective, taunting remarks. In my opinion they just weaken his (our) case. Having said that, I would like to thank Killian (and his sources) for a fine job!

Thanks. And there weren't THAT many jabs. Hopefully enough to keep it entertaining.

With that said, it IS Creative Commons. If you want to download Subtitle Workshop (it's free!) and go through and delete the jabs (very easy to do!), it's fine with me; but it is an Attribution license, so if you do that and show or give the file to anyone else, please add in a subtitle at the beginning saying that you did it.