Podcast for 6-6-2011

Started by MrBogosity, June 05, 2011, 04:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: MrBogosity on June 08, 2011, 12:54:24 PM
"calling for violence is not protected speech."

I think I covered that pretty well in the podcast. Calling for violence IS protected. The only way the government can stop it is if the violence is not only likely, but also IMMINENT.

I linked the person to the 1969 ruling as well.

What kills me is that he thinks that Rand's statements are perfectly okay because they are meant to appease someone like Hannity. If anything, i find that just as dishonest as being a straight up hypocrite.

Quote from: D.Turcotte on June 08, 2011, 01:15:19 PM
I linked the person to the 1969 ruling as well.

What kills me is that he thinks that Rand's statements are perfectly okay because they are meant to appease someone like Hannity. If anything, i find that just as dishonest as being a straight up hypocrite.
If there's one thing Shane has learned it's that compromise doesn't work in the realm of libertarian principles.  I'm sorry, but it just doesn't.
Libertarian means ARE libertarian ends, as Stargazer5781 has said.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on June 08, 2011, 04:20:16 PM
If there's one thing Shane has learned it's that compromise doesn't work in the realm of libertarian principles.  I'm sorry, but it just doesn't.
Libertarian means ARE libertarian ends, as Stargazer5781 has said.

Exactly. One should stand their ground and hold strong on their position rather than alter or change things just for the sake of appeasing someone or a group of people. As I stated earlier, I find it to be a form of dishonesty, if not to everyone who voted you in based on your libertarian principles, then at the very least, to yourself.

Quote from: D.Turcotte on June 07, 2011, 07:04:48 AM
So I posted on the Ron Paul page that the Rand interview was on and I got this response:

This guy is clearly a loon and doesn't see the sheer hypocrisy that Rand showcased in this interview. This is almost as bad as Obama supporters claiming that if you don't like him, you automatically must be an evil heinous redneck Bush supporter.

Could you link to that?  Who was it that responded to you?

The link is on the 1st page under Idiot Extraordinaire:
http://www.ronpaul2012podcast.com//2011/05/26/sen-rand-paul-on-sean-hannity-show-5262011/

The guy's name is JTWilliams.

On the cell phone causing cancer nonsense, of course Bill Maher has bought into it. He's using this for the whole "Americans will gladly kill themselves for the sake of convenience" argument. He even referenced global warming for an analogy. He posed the question, "If you could stop global warming right now, just by dropping the remote for your television and never using it again, would you? Of course not."

Not that I need more evidence for Maher's idiocy, but I figure I may as well throw this here since it is relevant to the WHO drivel.

Quote from: D.Turcotte on June 08, 2011, 11:54:49 PM
On the cell phone causing cancer nonsense, of course Bill Maher has bought into it. He's using this for the whole "Americans will gladly kill themselves for the sake of convenience" argument. He even referenced global warming for an analogy. He posed the question, "If you could stop global warming right now, just by dropping the remote for your television and never using it again, would you? Of course not."

Not that I need more evidence for Maher's idiocy, but I figure I may as well throw this here since it is relevant to the WHO drivel.
And yet ANOTHER reason why Bill Maher is a snobby, elitist douche-bag and professional fucktard.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on June 09, 2011, 12:27:44 AM
And yet ANOTHER reason why Bill Maher is a snobby, elitist douche-bag and professional fucktard.

I despise the man honestly. Whenever I hear that obnoxious voice of his, I feel physically ill.

When the Atheist Experience guys said they didn't know of any case where an atheist engaged in quote-mining, I was tempted to call in the next week and mention Mahr.

Quote from: MrBogosity on June 09, 2011, 11:12:10 AM
When the Atheist Experience guys said they didn't know of any case where an atheist engaged in quote-mining, I was tempted to call in the next week and mention Mahr.

I wish you would just dedicate an entire segment to destroying him, but I know that would require you to actually watch his show or listen to him speak which is a form of torture in and of itself.

Quote from: MrBogosity on June 09, 2011, 11:12:10 AM
Or of that kDest guy who quote mined Ludwig von Mises.  Really, statists are like that it seems...

Maher wasn't even being a statist at the time! I was thinking about his Adams quote-mine in Religulous.

June 10, 2011, 11:27:19 AM #27 Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:30:06 AM by D.Turcotte
QuoteAgain, in regards to the "profiling" of political speech, the Senator never advocated any particular measures. It's not as if he proposed rendition, the Guantanamo Bay treatment, followed by water-boarding! All he said was that certain individuals who produce intelligence interest should be more closely scrutinized than the giant TSA/DHS dragnet for the entire population! Of course I thought you were coming from a leftist perspective, ThinkProgress and the like were out there saying: "Rand Paul wants to criminalize speech" or "Rand Paul Wants To Know Where Every Middle East Exchange Student Is At All Times." Is that not an absurd paraphrasing of his argument?

>Rand specifically states that they should be deported and/or imprisoned for being in attendance of violent political speeches.
>Also states that he wants to invade the privacy of foreign exchange students simply for being born in the Middle East.
>Claim that he doesn't mean these things.
>Claim that we're just paraphrasing, even though it was a direct quote.

I'm starting to think this person is on some heavy duty drugs. If he is, I think he should share.

Why would you want drugs that turn you in to a jackass?

Isn't that what most drugs do anyway?