You just stop taking the drug!

Started by IceSage, October 24, 2008, 08:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey Shane, the war on drugs video was excellent... But one, and only one thing kind of bothered me about this video. There was one point where you said, If you don't want to take drugs "...you just stop taking the drug!"

Even though that is the solution to most drug related problems, that seems like an odd thing to say. Most people who take drugs are usually addicted to them and can't just "stop taking the drug." The rest of the video was fine, and this one statement really doesn't matter... but I found it an odd choice of words to use.

I've never used drugs before, but I bet if any heavy drug users saw your video that statement would've made them go, "lol, wut?"

Edit: This isn't a major topic of discussion, just trying to get the ball rolling on some of these episode forums.

If you talk to the ones who've actually quit, that's what they say.

That's why I have a hard tine buying this alcoholism-is-a-disease thing. How many diseases can you cure yourself from just by changing your behavior? Now, if you want to say that there's an underlying condition that compels this--chemical depression, or some other kind of psychological or neurological condition--and that is what the disease is, I'm with you. But the drug abuse is a symptom, not the disease.

True. The "alcoholism is a disease" thing is Bogosity in itself.

However, there ARE addictive drugs. Some people have a hard time with "not taking the drug."

Although, you're correct... that is the solution, but for some people it's not that easy. Someone hooked on meth isn't going to just wake up and go, "You know what. I'm not gonna do this anymore." Usually to "Stop taking the drug" they need some sort of help.

Although, with a lot of drugs that the "government thinks is evil" I know a lot of people who have tried those drugs several times, then just decided, "Nah, this is stupid" and have stopped.

Another thing I'm curious about. If the dangerous drugs are legalized... what does that mean exactly? Would people be able to go to the store and buy some pot? How about the drugs that are claimed to be more addictive? Could they just stroll down to the store and pick a bunch up? Would there be regulations that the store or pharmacy or whatever, would have to put in place in order to prevent people from buying too much or unsafe amounts? Then what? They'd have to go to someone else to get the drug that the stores won't sell to them.

Of course, it's much safer than buying the drugs from Pablo in some back alley, or live in fear that the cops are going to bust down your door cause you had some weed. However, there are some things I don't get about how it would be regulated if legal.

Legalizing drugs alone wouldn't change the other laws on prescriptions etc. But it would take the drugs out of the hands of criminal drug dealers.

I'm with you on the Pot part. I mean pot is one of the safest drugs ever (about as bad as caffeine). Now I'm not saying that you should take dope, all drugs affect your body in some way, but pot is way safer then alcohol or cigarettes.

In Germany the police in Leipzig actually pushed for legislature that would make it legal for citizens to grow 3 plants of weed, because the dealers cut the drug with lead.

But I see a problem with meth. You can make it yourself, so why buy it in a store? I mean, of course some people will buy the stuff if it's legal, but when you look at the software pirates, if you can get it for free, people will jump on it.
And then we got the addiction problem. As far as I know, meth is extremely addictive. Even one shot is enough with certain preconditions.

Quote from: chrisch on October 24, 2008, 12:39:47 PM
But I see a problem with meth. You can make it yourself, so why buy it in a store?

Why aren't there a ton of people brewing alcohol or growing tobacco?  It is much easier and safer to but it from someone who knows what they are doing and the quality would likely be much better.  The only reason people make Meth in their home or garage is because of the tremendous profits they get from it. 

As for addiction, nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs out there. 

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 24, 2008, 09:03:27 AM
If you talk to the ones who've actually quit, that's what they say.

Now your forgetting something, those people that can quit will say that, as the complete group that has the mental strengt or mental imunity (not the right word, but you get my point) will belong to that group. But on some people, the drugs just have a bigger effect, they will still be addicted, and will be to far away in the gutter or already dead to talk to you about it. Even with the less adictive siggarets, there are people who havent smoked for 20-30 years and still feel the urge for a sigaret at stressfull times.

How else do you quit fags then?

My father smoked for a long time and he set a date to stop and hasn't smoked in 28 years. He said exactly what shane's said.

Quote from: Sinlingual on November 07, 2008, 06:43:46 PM
How else do you quit fags then?

My father smoked for a long time and he set a date to stop and hasn't smoked in 28 years. He said exactly what shane's said.

Some drugs are even MORE addictive, to the fact where they don't want to use it anymore, but they NEED it.

It's not like your father was broke and going, "I GOTTA KILL A GUY FOR SOME CIGARETTES! I JUST NEED THEM!"

Quote from: IceSage on November 07, 2008, 08:20:05 PM
Some drugs are even MORE addictive,

Nicotine is the most addictive drug we know of.

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 07, 2008, 09:39:51 PM
Nicotine is the most addictive drug we know of.

Yes, but addiction can be psychological. I could want eating candy much more than I could want to smoke a cigarette.

It's about the sensations and feelings, and wanting them back... rather than the simple fact that it's chemical components are considered addictive.

Otherwise, going by that logic... people would want to smoke cigarettes more than they'd want to do crack, LSD, etc etc.

Quote from: IceSage on November 08, 2008, 01:35:59 AMOtherwise, going by that logic... people would want to smoke cigarettes more than they'd want to do crack, LSD, etc etc.

I'd argue that they do. Many more people smoke that use crack, LSD, etc
How many people do you know who smoke versus smoking crack? The worst addiction I ever had to fight, psychological or otherwise, was cigarettes by far. I'm been off them for 11 years now, but I still get cravings from time to time.

Also, check out any drug and alcohol rehab clinic. You'll find chain smokers a plenty. People get clean of alcohol and drugs, but never seem to be able to kick smoking.