Expelled, with lie-correcting subtitles!

Started by MrBogosity, October 27, 2008, 02:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 27, 2008, 02:12:31 PM Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:02:40 PM by MrBogosity
EDIT 5/29/10: I have updated the subtitles to Version 1.3.

EDIT 12/11/08: I have updated the subtitles to Version 1.2.

Haven't had the stomach yet to watch Expelled? Watched it, but hurled? Know people who think it's just the greatest flick ever and want to set them straight? You need this subtitle track! See how it works:

[yt]VwhZqNgfRC0[/yt]

It's available in two formats. The first is an SRT file. It should be compatible with pretty much everything, and is supported by YouTube and Google Video. The catch is, it may look different on different systems depending on font, screen size, etc.

SRT: https://www.bogosity.tv/files/expelled.srt (68K)

The second is an SSA file. It's not recognized everywhere, but where it works it's better because the font and size are specified, so the subtitles should work better.

SSA: https://www.bogosity.tv/files/expelled.ssa (93K)

Here's a ZIP file containing both of them:

ZIP: https://www.bogosity.tv/files/ExpelledSubtitles.zip (52K)

Octamed has also graciously hosted a torrent of the subtitle, renamed several different times to match common names for the movie:

Torrent: http://www.mininova.org/tor/1969197

Instructions on using it are for VLC Media Player (download it here). Other players should recognize it; check their documentation for more information.

Put the subtitle file in the same directory as your Expelled video file. Rename it to match. For example, if the video file is "expelled.avi" then name the file "expelled.srt"; if the video file is "Expelled - No Intelligence Allowed.mp4", name the file "Expelled - No Intelligence Allowed.srt" (note: keep all extensions the same as they were).

For VLC (and most other video players), this should Just Work. If it doesn't:

Right-click the screen; go to "Video/Subtitles Track/Load File..." Select the subtitle file in the dialog box.
If that doesn't work, then click the Video menu at the top and go to "Subtitles Track/Load File..." Select the subtitle file in the dialog box.
If that doesn't work, go to "Media/Advanced Open File...", click on your video, check "Use a subtitles file", click "Browse...", select the subtitle file, then click Open, and then Play.

If none of that works, locate a small child and ask for assistance.  :P

The subtitles start up right at the start of the movie itself, right after the unnecessarily-long Premise Media promo. If it shows up before or after, then know that this lag is on your system. Hopefully it won't lead to any confusion as you watch.

might want to add that they first need a copy of the movie! You'd be surprised...

Also, I found it necessary to rename the movie file to "expelled.avi" before i got it to work properly.

great job Shane!
and thanks!!

Leonard

Ok, does that work with youtube? Or do I have to download the whole movie from somewhere?

I'm afraid only the video uploader can add subtitles on YouTube.

October 27, 2008, 03:18:10 PM #4 Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:31:36 PM by MrBogosity
Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 27, 2008, 02:55:27 PM
Then any ideas where I get the movie from???

Quote from: Theta Omega on October 27, 2008, 02:52:56 PM
Ok, does that work with youtube? Or do I have to download the whole movie from somewhere?

If you have the whole movie on YouTube or Google Video, you can add in the SRT as a subtitle track, but I think you have to be the owner of the video.

Quote from: Theta Omega on October 27, 2008, 03:18:10 PM

BitTorrent?

NOTE: Bogosity.TV does not in any way authorize or condone the piracy of copyrighted materials, not even of stupid creationist movies made by dimwitted monotonal C-actors who have never heard of Godwin's Law.

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 27, 2008, 03:31:51 PM

BitTorrent?

NOTE: Bogosity.TV does not in any way authorize or condone the piracy of copyrighted materials, not even of stupid creationist movies made by dimwitted monotonal C-actors who have never heard of Godwin's Law.

Haha! Funny :)

Haven't seen expelled yet, just Thunderf00ts rebuttal and only that gives me the impression that I shouldn't watch cause my head would just explode because of all the ignorance

October 27, 2008, 05:30:37 PM #8 Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:53:05 PM by BZ987654
Quote from: MrBogosity on October 27, 2008, 03:31:51 PM

BitTorrent?

Why risk going to jail to dl some movie you can get in the clearance bin at wal mart for $3.50?

Quote from: FelleAndersson on October 27, 2008, 05:08:12 PM

BitTorrent?

Haha! Funny :)

Haven't seen expelled yet, just Thunderf00ts rebuttal and only that gives me the impression that I shouldn't watch cause my head would just explode because of all the ignorance

lol, quote pyramid

October 31, 2008, 04:26:37 AM #10 Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 04:54:45 AM by Octamed
[MOD: Sorry; I originally thought he had included the Expelled movie itself in with the torrent. I'm restoring the link. SK]

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1969197 (fixed seed)

*** deleted this as the seed was broken - http://www.mininova.org/tor/1963324

I thought I'd stick these where people are most likely to find them :)
Could someone try and download the torrent? I'm not sure if my seed is working since I've never make a torrent before.
I included copies using common movie filenames to make it easy. There's also a readme pointing here.

Let's see how long it takes for the first woos to come here.

Quote from: Octamed on October 31, 2008, 04:26:37 AM
[MOD: This may be considered a link to illegal material, which is not allowed under Da Rules. SK]

Hey, Shane, how is this linking to illegal material if it links to something you created?

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 31, 2008, 10:02:07 AM
Hey, Shane, how is this linking to illegal material if it links to something you created?

I didn't actually see what it was linked it. Can you pm it to me?