Does this mean anything beyond Stranger Things losing a few viewers?

Started by evensgrey, November 19, 2017, 12:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
[yt]Q-Q46d5lltM[/yt]

Well, Stefan has gone and done one of his weird analyses of entertainment and decided Stranger Things is an allegory about uncontrolled immigration in the presence of a welfare state.

Does this actually mean anything beyond making a few hard-code statists no longer able to watch it because they won't be able to shake the idea that it contradicts their core theology?

LOLWUT??? Who are the immigrants supposed to be? There aren't any people in the Upside-Down!

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 19, 2017, 01:29:53 PM
LOLWUT??? Who are the immigrants supposed to be? There aren't any people in the Upside-Down!

Apparently, there are entities in the Upside-Down who are taking resources when the gate is open.  Remember, this is one of Stefan's analyses, so he's probably completely rewritten the story to conform to his own narrative.  Do you know what he decided Harry Potter was about?

Quote from: evensgrey on November 19, 2017, 11:06:08 PMApparently, there are entities in the Upside-Down who are taking resources when the gate is open.

Not intelligent ones, at least so far. They're just beasts. One of the characters described it like a virus, hijacking Will's intelligence because it had none of its own.

QuoteRemember, this is one of Stefan's analyses, so he's probably completely rewritten the story to conform to his own narrative.  Do you know what he decided Harry Potter was about?

I shudder to think...what?

(I've heard the idea that Harry is actually in a sanitorium suffering from PTSD, and how the story and his place in it matches the kind of delusions you'd expect. It was scarily convincing...)

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 20, 2017, 08:46:59 AM
I shudder to think...what?

(I've heard the idea that Harry is actually in a sanitorium suffering from PTSD, and how the story and his place in it matches the kind of delusions you'd expect. It was scarily convincing...)

Sort of similar, actually, except it was early-onset schizophrenia, with him initially struggling against it and eventually giving in and embracing his delusions and hallucinations.  Stefan seems to be convinced that magic is always an allegory for insanity.  Given the kind of life he had before he turned eleven, Harry should have PTSD at the least, or probably more likely, DID.

Quote from: evensgrey on November 20, 2017, 10:00:19 AM
Sort of similar, actually, except it was early-onset schizophrenia, with him initially struggling against it and eventually giving in and embracing his delusions and hallucinations.  Stefan seems to be convinced that magic is always an allegory for insanity.  Given the kind of life he had before he turned eleven, Harry should have PTSD at the least, or probably more likely, DID.

But I don't think it's unrelated. Even if it's not what J.K. Rowling intended, it would make sense that she would set the character up like that to be able to go on those kind of adventures. He'd have the fulfillment in reality that the delusions would give a mental patient.

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 20, 2017, 10:08:30 PM
But I don't think it's unrelated. Even if it's not what J.K. Rowling intended, it would make sense that she would set the character up like that to be able to go on those kind of adventures. He'd have the fulfillment in reality that the delusions would give a mental patient.

I always got the impression she gave Harry that kind of early childhood because it's the most stereotypical hero early childhood, in a story she was consciously packing with as many stereotypes as possible, both about fantasy and boarding schools.

Not surprising: to be honest Ms. Rowling is a shit writer—at least that's what I thought when the books came out.

I mean, let's start with the name: seriously? Harry Potter? Who comes up with a fictional name that makes such an easy target? You know what I started calling him? "Harry Pot-smoker".

Then there's the simple fact that she isn't creative in terms of story-telling—as you've pointed out. If I want a story of magicians pwning each other, I have 81 verses I can read, and these are way better written. Plus they remind me why Govenrments and magalomaniacs suck.

*ends rant*

Anyways: look, I think it's been established since the TrueShibes incident that Stefan is a bit of a looney. He has his ideas, then tries to fit the facts to them. He also fails to realize that, some days a cigar is just a bloody cigar.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Getting back to the original subject: I think the Demodogs are more like animals that have been moved outside of their natural habitat, like pigs in Australia or tree snakes in Guam, that then go on to decimate local populations or even drive them to extinction. Despite what the characters say about them, I don't see them as evil per se. They have the perfect right to exist in the Upside Down.

If someone is going to liken that to immigration, THAT is the point I pull out the word "racism"!

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 02, 2017, 08:51:17 AM
Getting back to the original subject: I think the Demodogs are more like animals that have been moved outside of their natural habitat, like pigs in Australia or tree snakes in Guam, that then go on to decimate local populations or even drive them to extinction. Despite what the characters say about them, I don't see them as evil per se. They have the perfect right to exist in the Upside Down.

If someone is going to liken that to immigration, THAT is the point I pull out the word "racism"!

I don't subscribe to NetFlix (at least not so far, and there always seems to be some new crap going on there that makes me decide I don't want to) so I've never seen the thing.  It sounds rather stupid to me, a contrived excuse for weird presentations of quite hackneyed plots.