Author Topic: Internet Security Fails (or "Someone knows my password!")  (Read 117 times)

Altimadark

• Bogon shield
  • Bogometer: -18
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Altimadark
    • View Profile
    • Email
Internet Security Fails (or "Someone knows my password!")
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
Yesterday I got a notice from Google that someone had discovered my password for my secondary email, and tried to use it to log in. Thankfully, Google denied them as they were trying to log in with an unfamiliar/unverified device.

The password was randomly generated and saved via Last Pass, and the email address itself is less than two months old (as of this post) so needless to say, I'm a bit surprised by all of this. I've already changed the password, but I'm wondering what else, if anything, I could do to prevent this in the future. Any idea how anyone even could have gotten it?
Failing to clean up my own mistakes since the early 80s.

MrBogosity

• Master of the Bogoverse
  • Administrator
  • Bogometer: -40
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Internet Security Fails (or "Someone knows my password!")
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »
Phishing? Did you click on any links and then type in the email? Scanned your computer for malware or keyloggers?

Altimadark

• Bogon shield
  • Bogometer: -18
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Altimadark
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 08:48:33 PM »
I'll go ahead and try another malware scanner, but that aside...

Phishing seems highly improbable; I've used the secondary email for all of two things: picarto and linking it to my primary gmail account (which didn't report any such problem). And the only times I so much as glanced at the password were when I had LastPass rangen it and its replacement.
Failing to clean up my own mistakes since the early 80s.

MrBogosity

• Master of the Bogoverse
  • Administrator
  • Bogometer: -40
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »
Long shot, but: look at the certificate and make sure it's signed by Google's root authority.