Podcast for 9-5-2011

Started by MrBogosity, September 04, 2011, 04:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
September 04, 2011, 04:07:46 PM Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:47:53 AM by MrBogosity
[mp3]http://media.blubrry.com/bogosity/s/podcast.bogosity.tv/mp3s/BogosityPodcast-9-5-2011.mp3[/mp3]

News of the Bogus:
15:00 - Biggest Bogon Emitter: Warren Buffett http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/opinion/stop-coddling-the-super-rich.html?_r=2
22:25 - Idiot Extraordinaire: Pastor Michael Stahl http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2011/08/atheist_national_registry_prop.php

This Week's Quote: "If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If they are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites." —Isaac Asimov

Good podcast. One correction should be made though. I was the one who brought up Warren Buffet as Biggest Bogon Emitter.

Sorry, FfF just seconded it I see. One day I'll get this stuff right...

The dumbest thing about everyone calling out for higher taxes is that you guys have proof otherwise living right above you.  A few years ago, Canada actually forced a lot of our leaders, more like dragged kicking and screaming, to actually cut spending and lo and behold!  The economy WAS better off for it.  Not one single doom and gloom prediction came true.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on September 04, 2011, 07:00:15 PM
The dumbest thing about everyone calling out for higher taxes is that you guys have proof otherwise living right above you.  A few years ago, Canada actually forced a lot of our leaders, more like dragged kicking and screaming, to actually cut spending and lo and behold!  The economy WAS better off for it.  Not one single doom and gloom prediction came true.

You'd be surprised at the idiotic responses I've gotten to that.

Well, on second thought, maybe you wouldn't...

September 05, 2011, 10:59:33 AM #5 Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:07:43 AM by kiri2tsubasa
'Government want to tell you things you can't say because they're against the law, or you can't say this because it's against a regulation, or here's something you can't say because its a...secret; "You can't tell him that because he's not cleared to know that." Government wants to control information and control language because that's the way you control thought, and basically that's the game they're in.'  George Carlin in 1990 from the album Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics.   That seems appropriate.

'We are the proud parents of a child who has resisted his teachers' attempts to break his spirit and bend him to the will of his corporate masters.'  George Carlin 2001 from the album Complaints and Grievances.  This seems appropriate as well.

I had to skip about half of the part on the police recordings because I was getting so pissed off.

Quote from: MrBogosity on September 04, 2011, 07:37:29 PM
You'd be surprised at the idiotic responses I've gotten to that.

Well, on second thought, maybe you wouldn't...

I once cited Hong Kong as an example of how economies do better without politicians monkeying around with it.  Someone claimed their success is only because of their ports.

What?  They always had their ports.  They didn't have their fortune until just 30 or so years ago.  What was stopping them before that?

Amazing what kind of "shit in a bag and call it logic" passes for rational thinking these days.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

I've heard exactly the same thing. It's a zombie response, nothing more.

Enjoyed the Podcast.

Read this for an interesting conundrum regarding Warren Buffett
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2011/08/17/if-warren-buffett-isnt-paying-the-corporate-income-tax-then-we-should-abolish-the-corporate-income-tax/

What we're trying to do is get more cash out of the rich people and by insisting that Mr. Buffett's tax bill is only 17.4% of his income we've just proven that the corporate income tax doesn't tax those rich people it taxes the poor workers. In fact, if his tax bill is only that 17.4% then we would like to abolish the corporate income tax for it's just a hidden way of squeezing more out of the poor rather than the let's tax the rich that everyone seems to assume it is.

All of which leads us to a quite lovely logical conundrum. We have two options:

1) Warren Buffett's tax rate really is 17.4% because the corporate income tax is really paid by the workers, not the shareholders or owners of capital.

2) Shareholders and capital really pay the corporate income tax in which case Mr. Buffett's tax rate is not 17.4%.

What we cannot believe is that Buffett's tax rate is 17.4% and also that it's the rich people who own companies that carry the burden of the corporate income tax.

Rather up to you which you want to believe: I tend to the view that the incidence is split, some on the workers, some on capital which leaves me in the interesting position of insisting both that Warren's tax rate is higher than that 17.4% and also that the corporate income tax is a bad tax which should be abolished because it reduces the wages of the workers.

More generally, Tim Worstall runs an excellent libertarian blog.