Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:06:11 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
Post quotes that are epic failures.
I'll start:

"The day someone quits school he is condemning himself to a future of poverty." - Jaime Escalante
(Because people who have dropped out of school have never become rich or succesful, right? *rolls eyes*)

"When we find that 34% of our young men and women are unfit for military service because of physical and mental defects, there is something wrong with the health of the country and I am trying to find a remedy for it."

"I am trying to fix it so the people in the middle-income bracket can life as long as the very rich and the very poor."

"I usually find that those who are loudest in protesting against medical help by the federal government are those who do not need help."

"I have had some bitter disappointments as president, but the one that has troubled me most, in a personal way, has been the failure to defeat organized opposition to a national compulsory health insurance program."

- Harry S. Truman (Showing his ignorance of history of the healthcare system and how to fix (What did Einstein say about Insanity again?).  Not to mention how 97% of people had insurance before the mid 60s; so I doubt more gov't is what was needed.
Ad Hominem.
Translation:  "I am upset that I couldn't put a gun to people's heads and force them to pay for others' healthcare that would kill millions")

"Democracy is the destiny of humanity; freedom its indestructible arm."

- Benito Juárez
(MAJOR FAIL and ignorance of history.  Do I even need to get into this? Like about how Democracy is complete failure (e.g. The Greek City States, or Rome after the fall of their republic?))

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair (Ironically it was his book that got people to push for Congress to pass regulation that acted as barriers to entry which actually gave the big meat packers artificially high profits.  He did realize this only after the fact:  What a tool.)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Some pompous jackass I'm debating with though wondering why.  One of those types who can't keep his answers brief and to the point, much like politicians!

him: This was most certainly not ignorance of the Constitution, and most definitely suggests that it has been upheld despite aggressive Executive pursuit of sometimes questionable policy.  (talking about New Deal)

me: I'm going to make sure I'm clear here. Are you honestly suggesting the constitution has been overall upheld to the present day?

Him: I don't buy your contention that people, for the most part, are ignoring it and getting away with it.

And he tells me he's far more hip about politics than me.  I don't even know where to start here...

I started with "Do the words Patriot Act mean anything to you?" and listed a few other big violations.  I wonder what kind of spin I'll get.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

November 05, 2009, 03:30:53 PM #2 Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:18:51 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
[yt]dX_PfBuyR6E[/yt]

The above video has a ton of good ones. :)

A sample:

"we need wars.  if we didn't have wars we'd still be livin in caves.  everythin thats invented today is because of wars."
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

I love trolls, they're delicious.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

QuoteDoes having a library in your municipality make all bookstores go out of business? Does having a police force stop companies from hiring private security or private investigators? Does having public schools mean all private schools lose?

NO.

Hey Shane, he's stealing your schtick!

But oh yeah, the money to pay for those things just appeared out of thin air!  Okay...maybe it sorta did but...you know, inflation and all that.
The more you know...

Yes, there's a ton of information showing that government services crowd out private services.

December 11, 2009, 02:00:27 PM #6 Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:09:40 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
"The average divorce rate for married couples is roughly 67%.  When an institution has that high of a rate of failure, it is a failed institution." - My old Psychology Professor, who provided no source for this, and not realizing that of the people who enter college, less than 40% go to find jobs in their field of study (according to my High School), thus, by his standard, college/university is a failed institution.

"Subliminal advertising works; it's why the government outlawed it." --Psy, prof, again, providing no sources

December 11, 2009, 02:03:46 PM #8 Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:57:17 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
"The studies say that students must study for 5 hours for each test to get an A, 4 hours for a B, etc." - Same as above, despite the fact that he provided zero sources, didn't list a single control, and the fact that I got an A in the class, despite an average of about 10 minutes of studying for each test, which, according to him, should have resulting in me failing.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on December 11, 2009, 02:02:05 PM
"Subliminal advertising works; it's why the government outlawed it." --Psy, prof, again, providing no sources

Cracked.com had the best counter to this.  If it was that simple to influence people, why aren't government doing it?  The fact that no government has ever been able to successfully utilize subliminal advertising no matter how badly they wanted to should be a confirmation that it doesn't work.
The more you know...

December 11, 2009, 09:44:27 PM #10 Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:47:01 PM by valvatica
Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on December 11, 2009, 05:45:20 PM
Cracked.com had the best counter to this.  If it was that simple to influence people, why aren't government doing it?  The fact that no government has ever been able to successfully utilize subliminal advertising no matter how badly they wanted to should be a confirmation that it doesn't work.

Agreed. Well, this doesn't even need to ride on majority vote: If the psy prof (and many others) thought that their assertion was true, where's the proof of it?
"Did you know that the hole's only natural enemy is the pile?"
"Dead Poets Society has destroyed a generation of educators."
  --The Simpsons, "Special Edna"

December 11, 2009, 10:24:23 PM #11 Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:54:02 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: valvatica on December 11, 2009, 09:44:27 PM
Agreed. Well, this doesn't even need to ride on majority vote: If the psy prof (and many others) thought that their assertion was true, where's the proof of it?
Well, if memory serves, the story he told was like this:  A store in a dept. Store might play a message at really high pitch or really fast, or something like that in order to get the people within earshot to come into the store for a sale, or something like that.
And, according to my professor, this would work!  A surge of people would come and wouldn't know why they were there.  Since they were there, and there was a sale or something, they participated into it.
He said that this was why that sort of thing is illegal.
He gave no sources/studies/controlls, etc.
It also just occurred to me that even IF he could give me the sources for that, that it wouldn't justify making it illegal.

What really upset me from him was the whole story he fed us about the mentally ill being treated like (I kid you not) Holocaust victims until the State intervened shown in this thread: https://www.bogosity.tv/forum/index.php?topic=333.0

I think the best fail quote would be:
"I know what I'm doing."

December 12, 2009, 11:32:11 AM #14 Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:49:24 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: Gumba Masta on December 12, 2009, 09:10:37 AM
I think the best fail quote would be:
"I know what I'm doing."
Or how about the infamous, "I'm/We're fine."  Famous last words as they say.