BBE/IE: Shikha Dalmia/Reason Magazine

Started by Travis Retriever, July 21, 2015, 01:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://reason.com/archives/2015/07/21/privatizing-marriage-is-a-terrible-idea

QuoteAt the most basic level, even if we can get government out of the business of issuing marriage licenses, it still has to register these partnerships (and/or authorize the entities that perform them) before these unions can have any legal validity, just as it registers property and issues titles and deeds. Therefore, government would need to set rules and regulations as to what counts as a legitimate marriage "deed."'
'Furthermore, true privatization would require more than just getting the government out of the marriage licensing and registration business. It would mean giving communities the authority to write their own marriage rules and enforce them on couples.'
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

1) No, you just take it to the Register of Deeds and file it. You can file ANYTHING that you want an official record of at your local Register of Deeds, usually for a nominal fee like $10.

2) Giving communities authority != private.

I was just about to nominate Mrs Dalmia too for this article. 

QuoteToday, the idea of privatizing marriage is gaining popularity

I'd like to believe David Boaz if he says that, but Dalmia's link doesn't lead to any surveys.

QuoteTherefore, government would need to set rules and regulations as to what counts as a legitimate marriage "deed."

To what extent?

QuoteIt won't—and can't—simply accept any marriage performed in any church—or any domestic partnership written by anyone.

As far as consenting adults go, why not?

QuoteSuppose that Osho, the Rolls Royce guru who encouraged free sex before getting chased out of Oregon, performed a group wedding uniting 19 people. Would that be acceptable? How about a church wedding—or a civil union—between a consenting mother and her adult son?

As I live in Tucson now, should I scream from the top of the Catalina foothills or Mt Lemmon...
CONSENTING ADULTS!!!!!!

Quoteliberal understanding of things the government doesn't grant, it guarantees

It should and generally it does, like many other rights.  All the more reason it shouldn't require a license
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

The rest of her article goes on to describe many privileges and benefits of marriage that have been recognize LONG before governments started issuing licenses.
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

It is so wierd. The author base assumption is that what counts as marriage should be relevant to the governement when the government has no hands in it. Baffling.