Twin Studies & Genetics & Habits Questions

Started by Travis Retriever, March 27, 2014, 02:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So I heard Shane say they were bogus (or something?) but I also heard long ago that it was twin studies that debunked the "bad mothers cause autism!" melarky that lead to many parents hiding/institutionalizing their disabled children instead of seeking treatment for them.  So what's going on?

And related the fail quote here:  https://www.bogosity.tv/forum/index.php?topic=315.msg24270#msg24270  So does genetics cause autism?  Specifically the kind of genes that are environmentally activated (like how being obese reduces adiponectin gene expression)?  Or is it more...innate ones (e.g. X and Y chromosomes--last I checked, your biological sex is for life)?

What's more, I recall reading in Psychology Today way way WAY back when that they found that if a man smokes, it can effect their sperm--especially if they are older--to the point of increasing the chances of their child having autism.  Is there any truth to this?  Of course, the wagged their fingers in response to the findings (if they're even true) rather than pointing out that it would actually *increase* men's innate sexual value.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Hey, Shane, I was mostly asking you.  Does this mean you don't have anything to say on this topic?
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

There's clearly a prenatal cause for autism, and lots of studies have been done suggesting a genetic component. I don't see how any of that's dependent on twin studies.

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 28, 2014, 06:46:53 PM
There's clearly a prenatal cause for autism, and lots of studies have been done suggesting a genetic component. I don't see how any of that's dependent on twin studies.
>>Genetics
>>Twins have identical genetics (or at least some do)
>>high correlation of twins with autism; so if one does, it's more probable the other will too
>>hence, genetics play a role in autism

That's what I got from it.  But yeah, would be interesting if it was my dad smoking that caused it in me. O_O